Skip to main content

Digital Photography and Imaging - Week 5: Hearst Mansion

Samantha Kristalyn / 0373905 
Digital Photography and Imaging / Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Creative Media 

JUMPLINKS

1. LECTURES
3. PRACTICAL



LECTURES

Basic Photography Shooting

Double exposure is the technique of combining several photos into one. The approach can be applied in a variety of ways. For instance, applying shadows, working on silhouettes, adding artificial reflections, and using the tilt-shift effect.  
 

Fig. 1. 1, Double exposure on photo


There are a few other ways to create double exposure without using a double exposure camera, such as:

1. Using the tilt-shift effect by blurring one of the photos instead of the entire image 
(Filter   Blur Gallery  → Tilt-Shift),  

2. Creating fake/phony reflections─ both bokeh and raindrops are examples of such. 

In creating double exposure works, there are a few things that has and could be done to enhance and to create a satisfactory final work, such as:

1. Working with the silhouettes: silhouettes can be very effective in double exposure art, as they serve as a "canvas" for the secondary image.

2. Converting the result into a Black & White image: double exposure photos will convey more emotion with the help of the lack of color. 

3. Selecting 2 random photos: most of the photographs with double exposures could commonly be a mistake. 

4. Making simple objects look fascinating: 
- Choosing interesting textures or patterns → overlay textures like geometric shapes, clouds, or leaves on simple objects like coffee cups or tree branches to add depth and interest.
- Focusing on the contrast  using high-contrast images to make the details of simple objects pop.

5. Using shadows:
- Overlaying shadows for depth
- Blend shadows for subtlety

Image Blending Mode


Fig. 1. 2, left: Blend Mode Groups; right: Commonly Used Blend Modes 



INSTRUCTIONS




PRACTICAL

Hearst Mansion
On this week, Mr. Fauzi assigned us to edit in a picture of Shazam and our own eye-level photo into the Hearst Mansion picture that he had provided us on Google Classroom.

After obtaining the pictures that are needed, I decided to make the one with Shazam first. I started off by cutting out Shazam's picture with the Quick Selection tool. 
 
  

Fig. 3. 1, Quick Selection tool


After cutting out the picture, I resized the picture and used Color Match to adjust Shazam's color so he could blend in with the background better. I added a noise filter as well so it could match the background picture's quality.


Fig 3.2, Matching the color of Shazam with the background 

Before finishing, I added some shadow with the brush tool and used the Gaussian Blur filter to fade it out a bit. I also made a reflection on the water by duplicating Shazam's picture and used Color Match to set the tone so it will blend in with the water. To complete it, I distorted it by using the Ripple filter to mock the water's motion.  


Fig. 3. 3, Final Picture of Shazam in Hearst Mansion  


After exercising by using Shazam's picture, I had to edit in my own picture next. I used an old photo of myself; it was quite challenging for me to cut myself out because of the crowded background but it ended up well at the end. 


Fig. 3. 4, Raw unedited photo

I followed the same steps that I did on the Shazam exercise, creating my own version of the edited image but instead of using the Quick Selection tool, I decided to use the Selection brush tool instead because it made it easier for me to remove the background.  



Fig 3. 5, Cutting and removing the background of my photo


Fig. 3. 6, Resizing and placing the cutout



Fig. 3. 7, Final result 


REFLECTIONS

Through this week's task, I learned how to cut out and edit pictures in Photoshop, along with  creating shadows and blending images in with Color Match, was both a fun and challenging experience. At first, it was quite difficult to get used to all of the tool and options, but each step revealed just how powerful Photoshop can be━ I was amazed by all of the wide range of filters.

One of the most enjoyable parts was learning on how to cut out subjects cleanly. Mastering the selection tools, such as the Quick Selection tool and the Pen tool, was surprisingly satisfying, especially when I finally got the precise and smooth edges that I wanted on my cutouts. I was surprised to learn how simple the steps were.

This task brought me new knowledge on how to require a balance between precision and intuition to make the shadows look natural, adjusting opacity, angle, and blur to give depth. 

Overall, learning these new techniques was exciting. I have learned a lot about these tools so I can utilize them better in the future. Each new tool and technique made me eager to try more complex edits. 


Comments

Popular Posts