Skip to main content

Digital Photography and Imaging - Week 8: Poster Design

Week 8 (11.11.2024)  
Samantha Kristalyn / 0373905
Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media / Taylor's University
Digital Photography and Imaging - Poster Design

JUMPLINKS
1. LECTURES
3. TUTORIAL
4. PRACTICAL
5. FEEDBACK

LECTURES
There are no lectures.

INSTRUCTIONS


TUTORIAL





PRACTICAL
Poster Design
This week, we were assigned to create a poster using our own photography work topped with a motivational quote. The quote that I have chosen and will be using is sourced from one of my favorite games, Persona 5. The quote goes like this: "There is no harm in starting over. Sometimes, you need a blank canvas to create a masterpiece."  

Before creating any work, I looked for references that could help me in creating initial ideas for my sketches. Here are the few references that I have used for my work:

Fig. 4.1, Mood Board, (11/11/24) 

I decided to take the idea of the first poster's color palette and overall vibe. After gathering a few ideas from the references, I sketched the initial layout on paper first before digitalizing it.    
Fig. 4. 2, Initial sketches, (11/11/24)

After mapping out the layout and sketching the ideas that I had, I started compiling the photos that I would like to use on the poster. 

Fig. 4. 3, Photos used on the poster, (11/11/24)



FEEDBACK
Week 8
General Feedback

Specific Feedback

Week 9
General Feedback

Specific Feedback


REFLECTIONS
Experience
Creating a motivational quote poster using my own photographs was both exciting and educational. The process began with selecting photographs that would match the theme and mood of the quote. I then explored filters and color grading on Photoshop to enhance the visuals, ensuring that the image supported the message I wanted to convey. I also experimented with different poster layouts to create a balanced and visually appealing design. 

Observation
During the process, I noticed how much impact filters and color grading can have on a photograph. Adjusting tones and contrasts completely changed the mood of the image, which helped in aligning it with the motivational theme. I also observed that layoutting played a critical role in making the poster effective—placing text and imagery in a cohesive way ensured the message was clear and aesthetically pleasing. Additionally, I realized that even small adjustments in font size, spacing, and alignment could greatly improve the poster's overall appeal.

Findings
Through this experience, I found that creating a motivational poster is not just about combining text and images but about evoking a specific feeling in the audience. Photography, filters, and layoutting all work together to create harmony and amplify the intended message. I learned more about how design choices—like colors and typography—can influence perception and emotion. Overall, this project not only enhanced my Photoshop and photography skills but also deepened my understanding of visual communication and design principles.

Comments

Popular Posts