Skip to main content

Video and Sound Production: Final Project

25/06/2025 - 27/07/2025
Video and Sound Production / Bachelors of Design (Honors) in Creative Media / Taylor's University
Samantha Kristalyn / 0373905

CONTENT

3. PROGRESS


INSTRUCTIONS



FINAL PROJECT PROGRESS

Google Drive Link

Click Here!

VFX Video (Final Project)

For our final project, we were tasked with creating a one-minute visual effects (VFX) video based on a randomly selected tarot card from a set of five. Our group drew the fifth card: The Lovers. While this card often symbolizes relationships, harmony, or choices, we were challenged to interpret it through the given theme: “What is going against you?”

This twist pushed us to explore the darker or more conflicting aspects of the card’s meaning. Instead of focusing on romantic unity, we explored themes such as emotional imbalance and inner conflict. This conceptual direction shaped our narrative, leading us to write our story "The Higher Choice."

I. Ideation

Story

At the beginning of the ideation phase, we developed three initial story concepts—The Coin, The Higher Choice, and The Choice Codeall of which explored the central theme of choice and internal conflict, as inspired by The Lovers tarot card. Each story approached the idea from a different perspective. 


After presenting our ideas to Mr. Martin for feedback, we decided to move forward with The Higher Choice, as it resonated most strongly with our theme and offered the clearest potential for visual storytelling using VFX. This concept gave us room to explore symbolic elements, emotional tension, and stylized effects to support the narrative arc. 

Storyboard

To help us visualize our concept clearly before production, I created a four-scene storyboard layout. Each panel includes a rough sketch, camera angle notes, and a short description of the scene’s action and emotion. 





I divided the story into key shots; starting from the introduction, conflict, climax, and ending so our team could follow the visual flow while shooting. This made our planning more organized and ensured we captured the essential frames needed for editing, even if adjustments were made later due to practical or creative changes.

Main character: Lim Cai Wei (0349292)
Main cameraman: Samantha Kristalyn (0373905)

(Do take note that the final outcome may differ from the storyboard due to physical & editing limitations)

Proposal


II. Editing

After dividing our parts, I was tasked with editing Scene 2 and Scene 4.

Roto Brush & Scaling

To remove the background and isolate the main character in my scene, I used the Roto Brush Tool in Adobe After Effects. This tool allowed me to quickly create a matte around the subject by painting directly over the figure in the video layer. I started by selecting a base frame where the subject was clearly visible and used the Roto Brush to define the foreground (the character) and refine the edges for better accuracy.

To improve the quality of the selection, I also adjusted the Feather, Contrast, and Shift Edge properties in the Roto Brush & Refine Edge settings. This helped smooth out harsh lines and eliminate any remaining background artifacts.
 


Once the subject was successfully isolated from the background, I used the Scale property under the Transform options to resize the figure. By reducing the scale percentage, I made the character appear much smaller; consistent with the narrative that the girl is tiny and smaller than the tablet. Scaling helped convey the illusion of miniaturization effectively. I also ensured the anchor point was adjusted correctly to keep the character's feet aligned with the surface of the tablet, enhancing the realism of the scene.

Creating a shadow

To create a realistic shadow for the character, I duplicated the isolated figure layer and used it as the base for the shadow. On the duplicated layer, I applied the CC Slant effect to distort the shape and angle it in the opposite direction of the light source, simulating the natural fall of a shadow. I then changed the layer’s Fill color to black to give it the appearance of a silhouette.


To soften the edges and make the shadow blend more naturally with the environment, I applied a Feather to the mask or used the Mask Feather tool, depending on the setup. Finally, I reduced the Opacity of the shadow layer to make it appear more subtle and realistic within the scene. This technique allowed me to match the lighting direction and make the character’s placement on the tablet feel more grounded and believable.

I repeated this process for multiple shots across both scenes to maintain consistency in lighting and ensure that each composite looked cohesive and believable.



This YouTube tutorial explains the step-by-step very briefly: Click here!

Overlay



To create this overlay effect, I layered a semi-transparent window texture on top of the video footage to create a dreamy, reflective atmosphere.

Here are the steps I followed:

  1. Import Both Layers:
    I imported both the base video and the overlay texture (e.g., a blurred window reflection or glass pattern) into my composition.

  2. Stack the Layers:
    I placed the overlay layer above the main video layer in the timeline.

  3. Change Blending Mode:
    With the overlay layer selected, I changed its blending mode to something like Screen, Add, or Overlay to allow the background to show through while giving a reflective effect.

    • To enable blending modes, press F4 or click the "Toggle Switches/Modes" button in the timeline panel.

  4. Adjust Opacity (Optional):
    If the overlay was too strong, I lowered the opacity using the T shortcut and reduced it to around 30–60%, depending on the look I wanted.

  5. Positioning & Scaling:
    I adjusted the position and scale of the overlay layer to match the subject's face and ensure the reflection didn't distract from the character.


Text VFX

To create a glowing text effect in After Effects, I first created a new composition and added my text using the Type Tool.


To enhance the glow effect on my text, I duplicated the original text layer and applied the Deep Glow plugin to the duplicated layer. Deep Glow is a third-party effect that provides a more intense and realistic glow compared to the standard Glow effect in After Effects.



After applying it, I adjusted key settings such as Exposure, Radius, and Threshold to control the strength, spread, and softness of the glow. Duplicating the layer allowed me to separate the glow from the main text, giving me more flexibility in blending and styling. I then changed the blending mode of the glow layer to Add or Screen, which allowed the glow to blend naturally into the scene while keeping the original text sharp and legible. This approach helped me achieve a vibrant, professional-looking glow effect that elevated the visual impact of the scene.


III. Color Grading

To ensure visual consistency in our final project, I used Adobe Premiere Pro’s Lumetri Color Match tool. After choosing a well-balanced reference clip, I enabled Comparison View and applied the match to other shots. 



This automatic adjustment helped align exposure, contrast, and hue quickly across different scenes. I then fine-tuned each clip using tools like Color Wheels, Curves, and White Balance in the Lumetri panel to maintain consistency while preserving detail in shadows, midtones, and highlights.


For creative style, I added a uniform LUT via an Adjustment Layer to unify the entire sequence with a distinct mood. By combining color matching with manual grading and scopes, I achieved cohesive visuals that feel like part of the same world.



An LUT is like a filter or preset that tells your editing software how to remap the colors in your video to achieve a specific look. It "looks up" one set of color values (from your original footage) and matches them with new, altered values to give the footage a new appearance.

For Scene 2, I applied a green color tone to emphasize a feeling of unease and internal conflict. Green is often associated with uncertainty, envy, or imbalance—which reflected the character's emotional state and the idea of being torn between choices. It helped create a surreal, slightly tense atmosphere, matching the psychological theme of "what is going against you?"

For Scene 4, I used a warm orange tone to represent clarity, realization, and emotional warmth. This scene marked a turning point where the character began to understand their inner struggle. The orange hue symbolized a sense of comfort and light, contrasting the earlier green scene to show progression and inner acceptance.


FINAL YOUTUBE VIDEO



REFLECTION

Experience

Throughout this project, I was able to explore a variety of VFX techniques such as Roto Brush, Deep Glow, and color grading in both After Effects and Premiere Pro. Editing Scene 2 and Scene 4 gave me hands-on experience in compositing, scaling, and creating atmosphere through visual effects.

Observation

I noticed how much impact color and subtle effects have on storytelling. For example, green tones could shift the mood to feel uneasy, while warm tones added comfort. I also realized that small technical details like masking or blending modes can make a big difference in the final result.

Findings

I learned that effective VFX is not just about flashy visuals but about supporting the narrative. Consistency, attention to lighting, and creative use of effects all help to elevate the emotional tone of a scene. This project helped me better understand how to use visual language to convey meaning.

Comments

Popular Posts