Skip to main content

Anatomy and Character Sculpture - Exercises

Samantha Kristalyn / 0373905 / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media 
Anatomy and Character Sculpture 
Exercises 

JUMPLINKS

2. TASK
4. FEEDBACKS


INSTRUCTIONS



TASK

Exercise 01 - Character Design Concept (Digital Drawing) (20%)

On this task, we are required to create a character design concept in digital drawing that later on will be sculpted into 3D using ZBrush. We are required to present an original humanoid or stylized character that demonstrates our understanding of anatomy, proportion, silhouette, and visual storytelling.  The objective of this project was to develop a cohesive character concept from the ground up, focusing on the intersection of anatomical accuracy, silhouette recognition, and visual storytelling. The goal was to create a character that feels functional yet stylistically unique.

Anatomy Exercise Sketches

First, I made anatomy exercise sketches to help polish my understanding of anatomy. Below are the sketches:

Fig. 1.1, Anatomy Turnaround Sketch Exercise 

Reference Board

After doing so, I started looking for references to help me create a concept for my character. I gathered a few images from the internet and compiled them into one reference board. Below is the reference board that I have made.

Fig. 1.2, Mood Board 

I curated a mood board to establish a visual language. I was particularly inspired by East Asian fox folklore (Kitsune), which I paired with structured, heavy fabrics found in gothic priestly garments. This helped define the character’s personality as someone who is deeply spiritual but possesses an ancient, cunning nature that demands respect.

Headshot Sketches

I started off by making 360° headshot sketches to visualize how I want to start off my character. Below are the digital sketches that I have made. These headshots were just quick sketches to help me figure out the character's vibe. I used them to visualize how the mask would look together with the overall look before moving on to the final drawing.

Fig. 1.3, Headshot Sketches 

Dynamic Poses

Before jumping into the final colors, I wanted to figure out how this character would actually move. Since he’s a warrior-priest, I needed poses that felt both disciplined and ready for combat.
Fig. 1.4, Dynamic Poses

  1. The Standing Pose: I sketched this to visualize his official, stoic presence. It’s meant to show off the full length of his robes and his tall, authoritative stature.
  2. The Crouched Pose: I wanted to capture his "fox" nature here. Even though he’s a priest, he’s still a predator. This pose would help me in seeing how his heavy robes would drape when he’s ready to strike or jump into action.

Final Character Drawing

This is where everything came together. I took the anatomy from my dynamic sketches and added the layers of his story; the black clerical robes, the white waist cloth piece, and his sanctified broadsword.


Fig. 1.5, Final Digital Drawing

I'm quite satisfied with how the crescent moon on the mask and the gold cross pop against the darker tones; it creates that high-contrast, mysterious look I was aiming for. It makes him feel high-ranking and authoritative. While I had to stick to a more simplified color pass to meet my deadline, I think the basic palette still captures his dual nature as both a guardian of the faith and a primal predator. If I were to revisit this, I’d love to spend more time on the fabric textures and leather rendering.

Color Palette



Fig. 1.6, Color Palette 

  • Charcoal & Deep Black: I used these as the primary colors for the fur and robes to represent the character's mysterious nature and his connection to the "creeping darkness" of his past. It also gives him a very serious, authoritative look.
  • Stark White: The white on the waist piece and mask serves as a focal point. It represents his "divine" side and his status as a priest, making him stand out in a crowd and providing a clean, high-contrast silhouette.
  • Antique Gold: The gold in the cross and the eyes isn't just for decoration; it symbolizes the "Sun Deity Solmar" and the holy power he still wields. It adds a touch of "sacredness" to an otherwise dark and brooding design.

Silhouette Study

The silhouette is the most important part of character design because it ensures the character is recognizable even in shadow.
Fig. 1.7, Silhouettes


  • The Goal: I wanted to create a shape that felt grounded and "heavy." By using long, flowing lines for the robes and capes, I established a sense of mystery and importance.
  • Key Features: You’ll notice that the pointed fox ears and the long, trailing capes create a very distinct profile. I experimented with different poses like the crouched "ready" stance to see how the silhouette would change from a stoic priest to an active warrior.


Outfit Exploration

Once the silhouettes were set, I moved into the line art to figure out the specific layers of the character’s clothing.

Layering & Structure: I explored different ways a priest might dress. I looked at everything from traditional Eastern-style robes with wide sleeves to more structured, Western-influenced clerical tunics.

Fig. 1.8, Outfit Exploration 

Design Choices: 
  • Option 1: A more traditional, wrapped robe that felt ancient and folkloric.
  • Option 2: A cleaner, buttoned tunic that suggests a more organized, modern religious order.
  • Option 3: Added a heavy cowl/scarf to increase the "traveler" or "nomad" vibe, showing that he isn't just a priest in a temple, but someone out in the world.


Character Description

In the shadowed kingdom of Veyra, where faith and steel intertwine, walks the Fox Priest, Kael’nar. Once a humble temple scholar, he now serves as a high-ranking cleric-knight, marked by his signature white tabard and gold-stitched cross. His appearance is a striking contrast: bone-white hair and sleek black robes that command respect, topped with a black fox mask with the kingdom’s signature crescent moon symbol that hides his true intentions.

Unlike a typical beast, he carries himself with a rigid, stoic discipline, wearing the traditional white clerical collar of his order. Whether standing tall in silent prayer or crouched low with his heavy broadsword, he is a symbol of absolute order. He heals the wounded and purges corruption, yet remains an enigma; a guardian who serves the light but looks as though he was born from the shadows.

Final Presentation

Fig. 1.9, Final Presentation 



FEEDBACKS

Week 1

Mr. Tuan reviewed the reference board and advised finding simpler references. 
Complicated outfits could present significant difficulties during the ZBrush sculpting phase later in the project.

Week 2

The focus shifted to the shapes of the silhouettes to ensure a distinct and recognizable profile. This stage prioritized "shape language," using the fox ears and flowing robes to create a unique character outline.

Week 3

Feedback centered on adhering strictly to the assignment brief and ensuring the final submission follows the correct format. Final adjustments were made to the presentation layout to meet all technical requirements for the project.


REFLECTION

This project was a valuable exercise in balancing creative storytelling with the technical constraints of the design pipeline. Starting from basic anatomy and moving into silhouette studies helped me in understanding how to build a character that is visually striking even before adding detail.

One of the biggest takeaways was learning how to simplify a design based on professional feedback. While the initial instinct was to add complex details, the advice to focus on clear shapes and manageable outfits proved essential for ensuring the character is "sculpt-ready" for future 3D work. Although the final rendering was kept basic to meet the deadline, the high contrast between the dark robes and the golden icons successfully captured the "Fox Priest" identity envisioned at the start.

Comments

Popular Posts