Skip to main content

Anatomy and Character Sculpture - Final Project: Complete Character Sculpt

Samantha Kristalyn / 0373905 / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media 
Anatomy and Character Sculpture 
Final Project: Complete Character Sculpt

JUMPLINKS

2. TASK
4. FEEDBACKS


INSTRUCTIONS



TASK

Final Project: Complete Character Sculpt

Introduction

The Final Project is the culmination of all exercises from this course. Students must produce a fully completed digital character sculpt, complete with outfit, props, textures, and polypaint coloring, and presented in a posed form. The final output must demonstrate strong skills in anatomy, design, detailing, coloring, and presentation.

In addition, students must compile their works (Projects 1, 2, and Final Project) into an individual e-portfolio (Blogspot) and submit a PowerPoint compilation (following the template provided by the lecturer). This ensures students graduate with both a technical showcase and a digital portfolio for future use.

Concept Art

I started off by pulling up my reference for dynamic poses from my concept sketches. I decided to replicate this pose:



I tried going with the second pose, but I encountered some technical hurdles with my base sculpt. Issues with non-manifold geometry around the face initially interfered with the ZRemesh process, making it difficult to get a clean flow. Additionally, the original polygon count was too high, which caused the mesh to deform poorly and created broken textures during posing. I was able to resolve this by using Decimation Master to optimize the poly count, which stabilized the mesh and allowed for a much smoother posing process.




Posing Process




Rendered Images


  • Full Body


  • Headshots



  • Details







Final Presentation



REFLECTION

This module has been a significant period of growth for my technical skills, particularly in understanding 3D sculpting and anatomical structures. I feel much more confident in my ability to translate complex forms into digital clay than I did at the start. However, the experience was also a lesson in managing the pressures of a fast-paced environment. I found myself feeling underprepared for the tight deadlines since I had no basic knowledge of 3D sculpting and I had to learn quickly; I also had some health struggles that made it difficult to keep up. As a result, some of my work ended up looking simpler and less finished than I would have liked. While I’m not fully satisfied with the level of polish on my final pieces, I recognize that the foundational knowledge I’ve gained is solid. Moving forward, I’m focused on bridge-building; applying these new anatomical skills while finding a more sustainable pace for my workflow.

Comments

Popular Posts